Thursday, March 21, 2013

Easter baskets on the Cheap

Easter is just around the corner, and if you're like me, you "The Easter Bunny" has been stocking up for awhile now!  Here are some of the things that are going into the baskets at our house this year.

Books!
I've been watching resale shops when I happen to stop, and have at least two or three really nice hardcover books for each kid.  Generally resale places will have tons of books, and often they're really reasonably priced, in the $1-2 range.  Cost per kid's basket?  $5/kid

Treats!
While I'd like to pretend that I'm one of those amazing parents who only gives her kids wholesome treats, I am not that mom.  My kiddos are getting a dark chocolate Lindt bunny (YUM!!) that I scored on Amazon for less than a buck each (cha-ching!), a couple ziplock baggies of the Kraft bunny shaped marshmallows (about $1.50 for a whole bag which makes about 10 ziplock sized ones), and some plastic eggs filled with malted milk robin's eggs (about $2/bag).  Cost per kid's basket?  $3.25/kid

Toothbrushes!
My kids are a little nuts about brushing their teeth, and I found some pretty snazzy ones at Big Lots... They light up for a minute (the length of time they're supposed to brush)!  Little minds blown!  Cost per toothbrush?  $1

Plush Bunny!
So I'm that mom... and I keep thinking my kids are going to love stuffed animals forever... and somehow gloss over the fact that we have a [no exaggeration here] small army of stuffed bunnies already.... but I found each kiddo a stuffed bunny on clearance for $1/each.  

Small Toy!
Worker Bee is getting a couple new Hot Wheels cars in his basket ($0.97/each), and the Queen is getting a small toy that I got on clearance awhile back for $1, and maybe a new foaming hand soap.  My kids have a thing for hygiene... or they just love our new bathroom sink.  Either way--it's all good with me!

Total outlay for the baskets this year per child is about $12.  I reuse the baskets from year to year, and save the plastic eggs to reuse also.  I'll also get the hubs something little, too, although he says he doesn't need a basket...  Both he and I are pretty big fans of many of Cadbury's offerings at this time of year.

Any other good basket ideas?  Let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment